AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

burger joints rated for healthiness
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/18/2024 22:31 (#10895757 - in reply to #10895722)
Subject: calorie restriction vs carb restriction

Pittsburg, Kansas

Many people do not need to do what I do, especially to the extent that I need to do it. I try to keep my carbs to under 20 grams total a day. Many people that are active and healthy could do wonderfully on 100-120 grams total a day which is still considered low carb. If following the food guidelines (without a lot of extra soda pop or deserts) what is considered "normal" is around 300 grams. I think that is too much for anyone to remain healthy long term, but hey, I am wrong a lot and could be wrong on that. But I think a LOT of people could benefit health wise by cutting the carbs down some from what the food guidelines recommend. 

The other big elephant in the room is insulin. The frequency that people raise their insulin is in some ways just as detrimental as having too many carbs. If a person would just go back to three square meals a day with no snacking in between that would go a huge way of improving peoples health. Or better yet two meals a day (but that is hard to do when eating lots of carbs because they make you hungry a few hours after consumption). Giving time for insulin spikes to go to a low normal is the way to prevent insulin resistance. Once a person has insulin resistance with continually high insulin levels THEY CANNOT BURN BODY FAT. High insulin levels prevent the machinery from doing it. So by doing nothing more than not snacking (or drinking a sugary drink all day) they could prevent insulin resistance and improve their health bunches.

Insulin is the key to burning body fat (stored groceries). Low insulin levels = body fat turning into energy. High insulin levels = body fat burning blocked. There are two ways to lower insulin levels. One is severe calorie restriction. That will work but make a person very hungry and hard to stay on such a diet. The other way to lower insulin is to not eat the foods that raise insulin to begin with. Carbohydrates raise insulin the most. Meat protein very modest insulin rise. Meat fat no insulin rise. Fatty meat has a high satiety effect. So a person can feel like the are starving all the time and lose weight, or they can just severely limit the amounts of carbs so insulin stays low while eating all the fatty meat they want and be satisfied without feeling like they are starving.

My wife yo-yo dieted for years (calorie restriction diets). And each time gain a little more than she lost when she felt like she was starving and "fell off the wagon".  Then we went low carb, she eats all she wants and never goes hungry, but she simply mostly avoids the foods that would spike her insulin. She is not diabetic although she had gotten to the point of pre diabetic so she was heading in that direction before we went low carb. Five and a half years now success for her and I.

Not everyone needs to do what we do. I think a lot of people could benefit by doing some of what we do, even at a much less strict degree. Not everyone needs the extent we needed.

Edited by John Burns 9/18/2024 22:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)