AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air Fryer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 9/14/2024 18:35 (#10890400 - in reply to #10889298)
Subject: RE: Air Fryer

East of Broken Bow
It takes a little prep, but I have made home-made potato chips in ours, and they turn out really well.

Peel and slice your potatoes. Do everything you can to get the slices even in thickness. Thicker is more 'kettle cooked' thinner is more 'crispy'.
Some say to rinse them off, others say it is not necessary. I have found that you can do it either way, but the main thing is to spread them out on a towel or similar until the surface is dry to the touch. This is so the flavoring will stick to them. Now either sprinkle/spray them with cooking oil, or you can even dip them if you really want, but it isn't necessary that you do. Now, while they are still damp with the oil, sprinkle popcorn salt over them. Popcorn salt works much better than regular salt, it is powdered, and is absorbed by the oil much better than granular salt. Can even use butter or cheddar flavored popcorn salt if you want.
Let them sit a couple more minutes to let the oil and salt soak in, then toss in the air fryer - use a basket or rack to let the air circulate all around, and don't stack them on each other. Experiment with temp/time, but start with 3-4 minutes at 350 to 375.
They don't usually come out quite as crispy as store chips, but if sliced thin they are crispy enough, and with much better flavor, healthier, and a tiny fraction of the cost of store bought. I like kettle cooked chips, so about 1/16 of an inch works well, any thinner and I need some kind of slicer to get them even.
Again, even thickness is the key to get them all crispy at the same time without burning.

ETA: Baked potatoes also turn out really well in an air fryer, as well.

Edited by HuskerJ 9/14/2024 18:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)