AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MTOR, ageing, muscle loss as we age
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/14/2024 10:31 (#10889979 - in reply to #10889949)
Subject: RE: Ok here goes - with pictures!

Pittsburg, Kansas

I just eat till I am satisfied. Whatever that amount is.

It is kind of funny in what satisfied now means. Back when I ate a lot of carbs along with meat (pastas, potatoes, bread, etc.) it seems like I was "satisfied" when my belly stretched and I felt "full", as in a physical condition (as I understand it that is one form of satiety, the stretching of the gut). But since going low carb I almost never feel that way. No bloated and "full" feeling. Sometimes I simply get tired of chewing if I am eating something like steak, although that is not the most often condition. More often than not it just seems like I have "had enough". No full stretchy stomach feeling. Just something in my mind telling me I don't want any more. It is quite a different sensation.

Another oddity is that if the meal does not have enough fat I will get hungry for something fatty about an hour after supper. Like I didn't eat enough. I can't tell for sure if I am actually hungry or if it is just that I like the salt and pepper flavored pork rinds so much. As in it may be the taste that I am after rather than the nutrition. But I tested that out a few days ago. I got a hankering to get some pork rinds and thought "am I really hungry?". If I am actually hungry I ought to be able to eat sardines. So I went and got a tin of sardines and looked at it. They looked good so I ate the tin of sardines. Then I was satisfied. So I guess I really was hungry.

When we were trying to and loosing weight I avoided all snacking to make sure and not have insulin spikes (can't lose fat weight as long as insulin levels are high). Since I have been at my established weight now for about 5 years I no longer worry about a snack once in a while if I get hungry, as long as the snack time is between lunch and supper (and it is zero or near zero carb). As long as it is not carbs it likely will not mess with my insulin resistance. If a person is trying to get rid of their insulin resistance snacking between meals should be avoided. But my fasting insulin levels the last two years have tested around 6 so I don't have unusually high insulin any more. Type II diabetics and anyone insulin resistant can be up in the double digit area which is not metabolically healthy and is indicating they are in for trouble.

But I digress and am rambling. What was I going to say? I eat when I am hungry and quit eating when I feel satisfied. Some days that is more than others but I have never had a problem with not wanting to eat. I eat like a pig and I eat plenty. I really have developed a taste for good meat. Used to eat lots of chicken and almost preferred it over beef. Not any more. Rarely have chicken other than what I have in the chicken flour that my wife uses in some recipes to replace wheat flour like in gravies or pasta.

I don't seem happy till I have had at least a pound of meat a day and a pound and a half up to a couple pounds is better. 

Edited by John Burns 9/14/2024 10:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)