AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MTOR, ageing, muscle loss as we age
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/13/2024 11:18 (#10888975 - in reply to #10888970)
Subject: results of one study and kind of what I personally do

Pittsburg, Kansas

I just read the abstract, not the whole thing.

From the study abstract:  
#mce_temp_url#
"Recommendations for the level of adequate dietary intake of protein for older people should be informed by evidence derived from functional outcomes. Randomized controlled trials report a clear benefit of increased dietary protein on lean mass gain and leg strength, particularly when combined with resistance exercise. There is good consistent evidence (level III-2 to IV) that consumption of 1.0 to 1.3 g/kg/day dietary protein combined with twice-weekly progressive resistance exercise reduces age-related muscle mass loss. Older people appear to require 1.0 to 1.3 g/kg/day dietary protein to optimize physical function, particularly whilst undertaking resistance exercise recommendations."

Now the math is required converting pounds to kilograms and figuring out how much protein is in a pound (or kilo) of hamburger.

I did my push ups this morning. Still have my pull ups to do. Did several short sprints on the walk around the ponds with my wife. Now I just need to eat my meat! (only coffee so far). Lunch is coming!

As a general rule I eat around 1/2 pound at a bare minimum, usually around 3/4 to one pound, and occasionally a pound and a quarter of meat each meal. If I don't eat a very big lunch I tend to make up for it at supper. If I have a big lunch I tend to eat a lighter supper. Yesterday I had 2/3 pound hamburger along with Swiss cheese and a couple strips bacon for lunch. But motorcycle riding that afternoon stopped at McDonalds for my afternoon tea break and got a McDouble so another .2 pound plus the two slices of cheese. So about 8/10ths pound actual meat plus the bacon and cheese so around a pound of meat equivalent. For lunch basically. Then supper I ate carnivore lasagna (no wheat flour, all animal noodles) but probably a little lighter than I usually eat (also had some sauerkraut, dill pickle, a garden fresh tomato, a few olives - plus a low carb desert after).

But I would estimate around two pounds of meat and cheese a day will pretty much be in the ball park for me most days. However that figures out in grams of protein.

Maybe later tonight I will actually try to figure out how many grams of protein that is. Maybe. Really, I don't care, LOL (because I think it is "enough" and I have no worries about being too much)

Edited by John Burns 9/13/2024 11:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)