AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Process for freezing green beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 9/6/2024 22:31 (#10880941 - in reply to #10880579)
Subject: RE: Process for freezing green beans

Southwestern Minnesota
I freeze fresh green beans every year. I snap the ends off, cut off any bad spots and wash them. I cut some into pieces (for use in soups and hotdishes) and some I just leave whole. I bring a pot of water to a boil and then put in about 6 cups of beans. Cover, return to boil and blanch for about 2 1/2 minutes. You don't need to cook them long, just stop the growing process. (I do small batches at a time. If you do more than 6 cups, then you will probably need to cook them longer, as it takes longer for the water to come back to a boil.) Then put them in ice cold water to chill. When they are cold throughout, then drain well in a sieve. And then package them up into a good quality freezer bag (like Ziploc or Hefty). Try to get as much air out of the bag as you can. Put in the freezer. I put them in a bigger (plastic) container in the freezer after they're frozen for two reasons- one to keep them organized and another to prevent freezer burn. When you reheat them, put them in boiling water and then only cook for 3-4 minutes. Overcooking while blanching or cooking will make them pretty soggy. If I am putting them in soup, I add them at the end for only 5 minutes or so.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)