AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

would you force your kid to...?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Eric in ND
Posted 9/4/2024 15:04 (#10878361 - in reply to #10877938)
Subject: RE: would you force your kid to...?

North Dakota, USA
When our kids were getting to the age to play school sports, we told them that they can go out for any sports they wanted to try but once they went to a few practices they were in it for the season. If they did not like it, don't play next year but they need to finish this year. It is one thing to drop out after one or two practices at that age but once the team starts to really practice, kids quitting can affect the rest of the team.

That being said, we had girls so tackle football was not offered for them. This early in the season if I had a son that started but did not like it I would probably let him drop it, especially if he was on the smaller side for his age and has already been hurt. The risk of injury in football is great enough that I would break my own rule. I would not want to make someone who does not want to be there take that kind of physical punishment.

I never played football in high school. I was a farm kid and the only thing I wanted to do was get home and get out to the field. I lived for that. I have several friends that did play and by the time we were 35 years old, quite a few were saying they wish they hadn't. Sore necks, shoulders and knees are the were the most common reasons they had for saying that.

I thought there were some very good replies above. They all seem to agree about not forcing him to finish the season but there are lots of different and equally important reasons given to not to.

Eric in ND

Edited by Eric in ND 9/4/2024 15:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)