AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ulcerative colitis and Chron's disease
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/3/2024 10:46 (#10876991 - in reply to #10875845)
Subject: the bug in the ear that got me started low carb

Pittsburg, Kansas

Here is a guy that indirectly got me started low carb. I say indirectly because I met him and had dinner at his table at an investment conference in Arizona probably ten or so years ago.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=251955#mce_temp_url#

At that dinner table of ten people we of course were talking investing. But during dinner I noticed he ate his meat and pushed the vegetables mostly to the side. I think he ate his salad. But the pie in front of him went untouched. And I was eyeing it wondering if he was going to eat it and thinking a second piece would sure taste good. But in good manners I did not ask him for it. He was very trim and I was pretty portly. Oh at that time I didn't think I was (thought maybe 25 over weight when I was actually 75-100), but I was.

As we exited the venue and were walking to the parking lot we struck up a conversation. I suppose him seeing that I was above proper weight he mentioned "cut out the carbs" and commenced telling me about him being over weight just a couple years earlier and by not eating the carbs had lost a bunch of weight and got a lot healthier. It sounded good but mostly went in one ear and out the other. I had done the Adkins diet for a couple months several years earlier and it had worked while on it. But small kids, pizza and social engagements caused me to not stay on it (not to mention all the negative press). I wish I had. But at any rate his idea didn't "stick" with me.

It was several years later that I started listening to guys like Butter Bob Brigs#mce_temp_url#, Dr Ken Berry#mce_temp_url# and mostly the then new "Low Carb Down Under"#mce_temp_url# series on Youtube where I got introduced to a whole lot of new low carb researchers, doctors and influencers. All of the sudden it dawned on me that "Karl was correct". Just cut out the carbs and the body can regulate its own weight just fine. So wife and I started on around the first of February about five and a half years ago. We always ate all we wanted, never restricting calories purposefully. Just restricted "what" we ate. We did it specifically for weight loss but in retrospect what we did was got a lot healthier and then the weight came off naturally. But that bug in my ear by Karl was the little idea that it had worked for him so all these different people on Youtube that we were watching videos started making sense. He was this "hey it worked for him, it might also work for us" idea planted several years earlier that finally took hold.

I'm a slow learner. What else can I say? But sometimes it takes that seed planted before it can sprout and become an established habit. I am so glad it did. I am pretty sure I would not be scuba diving now at 70 had we not changed our eating habits (because of diabetes). And even motorcycle riding would be sketchy. Always had to worry about blood sugar lows while on insulin shots if I ended up having a lot more exercise than I was expecting (always carried granola bar in my pliers pocked of my jeans just for that problem and had to eat them more often that I would have liked).  I NEVER do that any more because I have no need. But I digress.

Point is it was Karl Denninger that initially planted the seed idea of low carb by my personal conversation with him. His experience allowed me to seriously consider all these crazies on Youtube that were saying it would work. Worked for him (and still does). Worked for me and my wife. Mayby, just maybe, it might work for others????

Most of the doctors and researchers I follow were initially discovered by listening to Low Carb Down Under presentations#mce_temp_url#. Low carb works. Then finally to fully understand "how" it works, researcher Benjamin Bikman#mce_temp_url# has educated me most fully on the mechanism. I had originally discovered and started searching for any interview or presentation he gives through Low Carb Down Under series. Spoiler: insulin level is the major key.

Edited by John Burns 9/3/2024 14:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)